How to get started for local schoolsEdited by Jason Leonard email@example.com 406-203-1812 x202 Last Edit Date: 07 November 2016
EdReady Montana through MTDA
Click here to view or print a checklist for your school to get started. The checklist can also be found in our online tutorial linked here (Link)EdReady Montana is a statewide project, managed by the Montana Digital Academy, designed to bring individualized math readiness to all Montana students in upper elementary school through college. Schools will work with EdReady Montana staff to create custom goals or select from the existing goal library. Whenever possible, students will then be enrolled into EdReady Montana assessments through their local school. In addition, a public EdReady Montana site will allow access for individual students, without the ability to create reports, track students, or transfer that work into a school-based account.
Planning before you start:
Single Point of ContactEach enrolling school needs to name a single point of contact to serve as the main communication liaison for their school. Although we can name multiple individuals as “enrollment officials” (see below), technical limitations prevent us from making more than one person the main contact for a school. The single point of contact will receive all official emails from EdReady Montana, as well as enrollment information.
Enrollment OfficialsEdReady Montana asks each local school to designate at least one local enrollment official. The enrollment official(s) will be given a unique username and password to the EdReady Montana GeniusSIS student information system and their email address will be added to the EdReady Montana facilitator announcement mailing list.
Other Teachers and FacilitatorsTypical implementations will also have teacher(s) and/or facilitator(s) who oversee day-to-day activities of students using EdReady Montana. To set these accounts up, please add them to the goal setup sheet or email full name, email, phone number, job title and school(s) they facilitate to firstname.lastname@example.org so they can be set up for you.
What to tell your students and/or parents?All local enrollment officials, administrators, or counselors discussing enrollment with students in EdReady Montana should create a plan that will communicate the expectations of the program. EdReady Montana is not a full course offered by MTDA and no teaching services are provided from a distance. Instead, local schools utilize the customized assessment and individualized learning path tool in order to best help their students improve their math skills. Questions and issues can be proactively avoided by defining how the program will work for your students. Decisions you should make before enrolling students may include the following: What do you want your students to be ready for? Will the program be used to support in-class instruction, used for intervention outside the class or both? We at MTDA have advised many schools on this process and we are here to help if you need us.
STEP 1: SETTING UP SCHOOL, PRIMARY CONTACT AND ENROLLMENT OFFICIAL
- To sign your school up for an account with EdReady Montana, set up your primary contact person and your first enrollment official, click the following link and fill out/submit this online form. (LINK)
- IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A SCHOOL ACCOUNT WITH EDREADY MONTANA and YOUR OWN USERNAME AND PASSWORD, YOU CAN SKIP TO “PROCEDURE TO ENROLL STUDENTS IN GOALS.”
- Note: all EdReady Montana accounts are separate from MTDA Original or Connect CR accounts.
- Individuals wishing to be enrollment officials should contact EdReady Montana Staff listed below to provide their first and last name, email, phone number, job title and school(s).
- Set up questions can be directed to Jason Leonard, 406-203-1812 x202, or sent to our support email email@example.com
Procedure to Enroll Students in Goals
STEP 2: CHOOSING A GOAL OR SETTING UP CUSTOM GOALSYou will be able to choose from our existing menu of goals or create a custom goal for your students.
- Note: Schools must request existing or custom goal(s) before they can enroll students. This process can happen in parallel with entry of student data and creating their accounts in EdReady Montana’s version of GeniusSIS (as described later in this document).
- To choose an existing goal, use the Available Assessment Menu (LINK) as a reference for titles and the list below for specific details about the topics covered by those goals:
- Secondary/Elementary Ed Goals (LINK)
- Higher Ed Goals (LINK)
- Adult Ed Goals (LINK)
- Career Pathway Goals (LINK)
- Other General Interest Goals(LINK)
- Choose the goals you would like for your students and contact us to set that goal up.
- Once you have selected your goals, email your choices to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will notify you once they are complete.
STEP 3: STUDENT DATABefore attempting to enroll a student, you should have access to the information in the fields listed below to help organize the required data. Once you have collected this information, you can create student accounts in the EdReady Montana GeniusSIS system.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Hispanic? Y/N
- Student Email
- State ID/AIM Number (for all public school students)
- Grade Level
- For schools wishing to create large numbers of student accounts at one time, please submit a request to the EdReady Office Team at email@example.com to receive a data collection form.
STEP 4: LOGIN INTO GENIUSSISGeniusSIS is the gateway into the EdReady Montana program. The easiest way to get to the system is to go to the appropriate school-type portal on the EdReady Montana website: Visit http://edreadymontana.org/, click “Login to EdReady Montana” on the upper right hand corner of that page. You can also go to GeniusSIS through our direct link: http://mtdaedready.geniussis.com/
STEP 5: CREATE THE STUDENT ACCOUNT IN EDREADY MONTANA’S SYSTEM
The enrollment official is a “trusted” account in the GeniusSIS system. He or she will enroll students into the appropriate goals created between the school and EdReady Montana program staff. Click on the “Students” tab:
Please fill out this student form completely as all of the information is required for our system. Once you click “Save”, GeniusSIS will automatically create a student account for your student and email that student with login information.
A note about student email addresses: A student email address is required for this system as it will automatically email the student with account and password information. Without a working email address, the student will not receive their login information.
Facilitators or enrollment officials can see and share a student’s username, and then reset passwords from within GeniuSIS by clicking the “reset password” button on the student account page: Resetting a student password
For secondary students, a parent may prefer to put their email address in the system. If they choose to do so, the parent must disseminate the login information to their student. If the student or parent has no email address, we recommend Gmail (http://www.gmail.com) among the free email providers.
STEP 6: ENROLL STUDENT IN GOAL(S)
Once students are in the system, you may enroll in goal(s) that you have set up previously with EdReady Montana staff (see Step 2 Above).
To enroll a student into a goal:Step 6.1: Click the student’s name in your student list.
Click “enroll in section” under the “Actions” menu on the left side of the screen.
Step 6.3: Choose the appropriate goal in the “course” field for each student.
For more information about how to work with our system, click here (link).
If you need any assistance with this process, please contact EdReady Support at firstname.lastname@example.org, 406-203-1812 x202.